About This Blog

In this blog, I will show you all the fun crafts I work on during my free time. All patterns, information, and ideas are available to the public for use for free. If you feature any of my crafts on your own site, please link to this blog. Please feel free to leave comments, and explore my other blogs, featured on the right-hand side of this page.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fingerless Gloves with Cables



So, I've been into this glove making thing for a while now. Additionally, I have this cable needle, and never really learned how to use it, so I taught myself how to make cables. They're a bit difficult to see with these photos, but I didn't really have any help with them...
I incorporated a couple of design motifs into this pair; I used cables of two different sizes in the same row, as well as some basic ribbing.
That said, I really like these. They're perfectly snug on my hands and wrists, they go down below coat cuff level, so I can stuff them for the really cold days, and they allow me full finger dexterity.
I should note that this yarn naturally has the three colours -- light blue, light brown, and dark brown, and I was given the yarn as a gift, so I don't know where I got it.
Again, since these are gloves, I did not gauge this.

Materials:
Less than one skein worsted weight yarn
Knitting needles, size 9, 5.50mm
Cable needle
Yarn needle, for weaving ends and sewing seams.

Abbreviations:
4CBF: Slip two stitches to cable needle and hold to front of the work. Knit the next two stitches, then next the two from the cable needle.

Directions: Make two
Cast on 34 stitches
Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
Row 3: k1,p1; (k1,p1,k4) five times; k1,p1
Row 4: k1,p1; (k1,p1,p4) five times; k1,p1; k1,p1
Row 5: Repeat Row 3
Row 6: Repeat Row 4
Row 7: k1,p1; (k1,p1; 4CBF) five times; k1,p1
Row 8: Repeat Row 4
Row 9: Repeat Row 3
Row 10: Repeat Row 4

For longer cables, knit to Row 10, return to Row 3, and continue in this way. For shorter cables, knit to Row 8, and return to Row 3 (That is, the longer cables have two extra rows of stitching involved).
My patterning went as follows:  After first cable, stitch two short cables, followed by one long cable, followed by 2 short, and so on in this way until I felt it was long enough. At this point, I began the end cuff:
Row right after last cable: Repeat Row 4
Repeat Row 3
Repeat Row 4
Repeat Row 3
Purl
Knit
Bind off

When binding off, leave a long enough tail to sew the edges together twice (that is, once up the glove and once down the glove, for extra strength). Be sure to leave a two-inch hole for the thumb in each glove. Weave in loose ends.

Notes:
Be sure to test to be sure the glove will be wide enough by measuring against the target hands and arms.
Be sure to figure out how many cables you want in each glove, so you can plan accordingly.
You can make longer cuffs for your gloves if you wish, just extend the stockinette stitching to the desired length.
I recommend sewing the gloves on the target hand, if possible. It will ensure that the thumb-holes are in the right place for both gloves.

If you have any questions or comments about this pattern, feel free to leave them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment