About This Blog

In this blog, I will show you all the fun crafts I work on during my free time. All patterns, information, and ideas are available to the public for use for free. If you feature any of my crafts on your own site, please link to this blog. Please feel free to leave comments, and explore my other blogs, featured on the right-hand side of this page.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

1: Fingerless gloves

Welcome to my craft blog. The first project I will share with you is the result of something I've been trying really hard to master: knitting. I was first taught the very very basics of knitting by a friend of mine from back home, and my mother got me a lessons book so I could learn more. That book, combined with good, old-fashioned, Internet info, has helped me to teach myself the rest of what I need to know. For comfort reasons, I knit the continental way, but I didn't realize it until my purl stitches didn't look like purl stitches at all! After a quick adjustment, I've gotten back to knitting the right way.
So then, onto the first knitting project, the fingerless glove. As a note, I didn't gauge them, as I think these can be easily accomplished with any gauge. In any case, here is the pattern:

Also, excuse the terrible messiness of my room behind the glove

Materials: size 8, 5.0mm needles
                  Red Heart Super Saver worsted yarn, grey
                  Yarn needle
                  Some regular old scissors

Pattern: Cast on 26 stitches
               Garter stitch 8 rows (This will form the lower cuff not pictured in the photograph)
               Knit 1, Purl 1 Ribbing 24 rows (That is, k1, p1, and repeat to the end of the row)
               Garter stitch 3 rows (Top border)
               Bind off, leaving roughly 15-20 inches of yarn to sew the glove with. Make sure you leave a nearly two-inch hole for the thumb. To help, you may do what I did, which is sew the first two or three stitches, put the glove on where you'd like for it to sit, and sew down and around the thumb. For extra strength along the seam, you may wish to sew the seam twice, once down the glove and once back up.
              Weave in loose ends.

Repeat this process twice in order to create two full gloves. If you want to have a longer glove, knit more ribbed rows. If you want to have a wider glove (that is, if your arms are wider than mine), cast on more stitches. Keep in mind a couple of things: 1) Longer gloves may require a wider glove, as the arm widens towards the elbow, and 2) In order for the Knit 1, Purl 1 Ribbing to work properly, you should have an even number of stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment