About This Blog

In this blog, I will show you all the fun crafts I work on during my free time. All patterns, information, and ideas are available to the public for use for free. If you feature any of my crafts on your own site, please link to this blog. Please feel free to leave comments, and explore my other blogs, featured on the right-hand side of this page.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Photo Frame Revamp: Home Decoration Made Cheaper

This Thursday, I had a rather harrowing experience that resulted in me having to go to the emergency clinic. The day prior, I had noticed that I was feeling very ill at work -- dizziness, nausea, trouble breathing, and most scarily... intermittent warmth in my left calf. After doing some research, I discovered that these could be symptoms of a deep vein thrombosis. Since I have been on birth control since the age of thirteen or so for my polycystic ovarian syndrome, a DVT is something I've always been taught to keep an eye out for. When I felt these symptoms for two days (and with some heartfelt insistence from my dearest mum), I decided to go to hospital and get it checked out.
We stayed in the room for while watching television, before the attending came to examine me. Thankfully, he determined that I didn't exhibit any of the most telling signs of DVT, like redness and tenderness. He also determined my symptoms were not from an infection. Instead, I was diagnosed with intense muscle strain, and gave me a prescription for 800mg ibuprofen three times per day. He also ordered me to stay off my leg as much as possible for 48 hours. I cheated, because I had to work yesterday, but today, I've tried to rest as much as possible. To keep from going insane, I've been crafting.

Without further ado, let me tell you about what I've done.
Richard and I have been meaning to decorate our home with some photographs of us, to make it more... well.. home-y. Having had one printed when we went to Ohio's Kings Island, I thought it was a good opportunity to set it into a frame.
I hate buying frames. They're expensive, finicky, and they don't always fit the decor of the house, or the mood of the photo.
Some might say that, at my age, you would want more elegant frames for your photos, to convey a sense of maturity. I say they're not having enough fun!
So, without further ado...

Materials:
1 blank wooden frame from Michael's wooden crafts section
1 page cardstock paper (I have a pack of 180 sheets from Recollections)
X-acto knife
Tacky glue
Decorations
1 photo of size

Really, one of these little guys will do.  It's just a dollar at Michael's!



Directions:
Using the frame as a template, cut cardstock paper with the X-acto knife.
Cover the frame in cardstock paper using tacky glue, laying it as flat as possible.
Decorate with stickers, ribbons, buttons, or other notions.

And that's it! From drabby, boring wood, to fun, beautiful, and full of personality.



With these methods, you could reduce the number of photo frames you buy significantly. This is also a great craft for children -- they can make their memories just as fun as the events themselves with this fun craft! Just be sure to give them a helping hand with the cutting part.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment